Mesquite Police Involved in Morning Shooting, One Man Dead

By Virginia Keller
Credit: Google Maps
Updated: May 5, 2021

MESQUITE – May 4, 2021 – This morning at 7:45 a.m., Mesquite Police Department officers were dispatched to the Audubon Park Apartments at 5800 Northwest Drive in reference to a 9-1-1 Hang up call. MPD Dispatch could hear screaming and sounds of a struggle in the background.

Upon arrival at the location, officers made their way to the apartment where they were contacted by the victim, who advised that the suspect was armed with a knife. Officers made contact with the suspect on the side of the apartment building where the suspect charged at officers, armed with a knife and a club. At this time, two officers discharged their duty weapons at the suspect, striking him. Officers rendered first aid to the suspect until medical personnel arrived on the scene. The suspect was transported to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. A second ambulance was requested by officers for the female assault victim at the location. She refused transport and was treated on scene and released.

The deceased suspect has been confirmed as Ashton Pinke, 27, of Dallas. Family members say Pinke was bipolar and schizophrenic. He was at his girlfriend's apartment when the 9-1-1 call was made.

The officers are identified as a 25-year veteran officer (female) and a 21-year veteran officer (male). No officers were injured during this incident.

As per departmental policy, the involved officers have been placed on administrative leave with pay.

Per protocol, Investigators with the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office responded to the location.

During a press conference on the scene, MPD Sgt. Mark Bradford said dispatchers were able to track the location of the hang-up call, in spite of the call ending prematurely, due to previous domestic violence calls from that location. He said it was apparent from the call that an assault was in progress.

Sgt. Bradford stated that carrying tasers is optional for officers and he didn’t know whether the officers involved were equipped with them or not.

MPD maintains that Pinke was armed with a knife and a club when he charged the officers that shot him. According to MPD Lt. Stephen Biggs, "He came aggressively at officers with not only a knife but what also appears to be a club in his hands."

The knife is now in evidence.

Body Worn Camera Footage of this incident is being reviewed at this time and will be released to the public later this week.